Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Blog!

Chase and I have debated the renaming of the blog. I've gotten a number of comments and questions wondering if we'd change the name once we moved away from the Washington, DC area. I decided when we left there that I would change the name, but only when I came up with a name that I loved and that would last.

Chase has been lobbying for the name to be "Francls in CC," a reference to the town we now live in. However, I have two problems with this: 1) I'm not crazy about the world constantly being reminded where we live, and 2) what if we move again? I've lived in 4 different towns in the last 4 years, and I do NOT plan on renaming the blog ever again (if I can help it).

The name I finally settled on, as you can see, is "Dressed in Scarlet." It refers to Proverbs 31:21. "When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are dressed in scarlet." The whole chapter is one of my favorite passages of Scripture. It is advice given to King Lemuel by his mother regarding his selection of a mate. It describes a wife of noble character.

This Proverbs 31 woman is pretty incredible in a million way. She works. Hard. In the home (rising before dawn, her lamp burns late into the night). Out of the home (she considers a field and buys it and from her earnings plants a vineyard). She is respected. Her husband is respected (an elder at the city gates). And her children arise and call her blessed.

I want to be her.

And I want my family to be dressed in scarlet.

Scarlet is a warm fabric, and some translations say instead that her household is dressed in warm clothes. The implication is not the color or kind of fabric, but rather than a wife of noble character takes care of her family's needs. She anticipates those needs and serves her family by being prepared. And that's how I want to be.

So the blog title is a reminder to me, a constant reminder of who I want to be. Of what I want my family to become. Of how I want to be remembered. Of my legacy.

Thanks for sharing with me both the old blog Francls in DC and the new one Dressed in Scarlet. I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Steph.
    So happy to have you near and to be able to have a very small part in Lily's life...and yours.

    ReplyDelete