Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Overwhelmed again

I will post again about happy things, but today, as in the last post, I'm feeling overwhelmed.  Why is life hard?  Why do we have to face hard things, hurtful things, lifelong agony, overwhelming anguish?

Summer should be a time of joy, of light hearted play, of whimsy.  And it is, except when it's not.  I feel like this summer hasn't given me a reprieve.  I feel like I am carrying a heavy burden and it nearly breaks me.  Nearly.

After my brother died, my family was given a framed print with the words, "Whatever God asks you to lift, He gives you the grace to carry."  It's true.  I live each day by grace.  I survive and even thrive each day by grace.  By grace I enjoy life, inspite of the burden I feel on my shoulders.  I enjoy my daughter, I love my husband, I bask in the warmth of the sun, by God's grace.

In the Bible, God promises He won't give us more than we can handle.  I can't tell you how many times over the course of my life I have wished He didn't trust me so darn much.  Why do I have to carry these burdens?  Why have I been trusted with them?  And if I must carry these hard burdens, why also do I have to carry little burdens like laundry and cleaning and cooking and dishes?  I suppose it's what makes us human - that everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time; that we all have to take time out of each day to eat, to sleep, to visit the bathroom.  It's humbling and frustrating.  Why do I have to spend time on these menial tasks when I feel the pressure of the important, big things I have to deal with?

And why can't I find my power cord to my computer today?  Why do I have to cut this post short just because the dumb power cord is buried somewhere in the disaster that is my house?

I'm whining, and you have as many hard things to deal with as I do.  I'm just feeling a little alone and a little overwhelmed.  We all do sometimes.  You have problems to deal with each day.  I don't mean to minimize your struggles by lamenting my own.  But it's my blog about my life and so that's what I write about.  I don't know your struggles, but I hope you know you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed, if that's where you're at today.

Some things are not for us to know.  As I've said before, I don't understand life, and I don't always like it.  But I'm grateful that I don't have to understand it, because I choose to trust an omnipotent God even when I don't understand.  He's got it under control.  He's got my back... even if He trusts my back to carry much more than I think I can bear.  His grace will sustain.

And just to brighten this post a little, look at this little face - it always gives me a boost, a reason to smile, and lightens the load, just a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment