Friday, October 5, 2012

Wondering and coats

Today was the first cold day of fall.  I mean, it was the first really cold day of fall.  When I woke up, it was in the 30's, and as I ran out of the house in my sweatshirt a couple of hours later, it was obvious that I was under dressed   But I refused to grab my coat.  I am loving fall, but I don't want to break out my coat.  Or to be more accurate coatS.

And I love coats.  Seriously.  I have a problem.  (Aren't you proud, honey?  The first step to healing is admitting you have a problem!)  I have a Columbia coat; I have a red wool coat (that is beeeeautiful, by the way); I have a white wool coat; I have a black wool coat; I have a black and brown dress coat; I have a tan trench; I have a black trench; I have a white and blue plaid trench; I have a navy pull over jacket; and I haven't even mentioned blazers, hoodies, or zip up sweatshirts yet.  *sigh*  What is with my reticence to break out my beloved coats?

Are you struggling to pull your coat from the closet?  To break out the scarves and mittens?  Is it just me?  Is it that fall is so wonderful this year that I want time to stop and somehow by not wearing my coats, I'm holding onto the early fall season?

After dropping my daughter off at my grandparents' farm for the morning, I drove past a tractor pulling full wagons and a combine picking away in the field.  The air smelled of fall, and I thought of the apple cider I drank yesterday in homage to the season.  And I wondered, What will the winter hold?

Last year at this time, I was adjusting to mommyhood and watching my baby change day by day before my eyes.  This year, my baby is turning into a toddler.  When it snows, we'll romp in the white fluff.  When it blows, we'll bundle and snuggle.

Last year I had a clear picture of where we were headed as a family - jobs, finances, housing, growth, rest.  This fall - right now, today - I'm content, settled, happy.  But unsure.  I see snippets of the coming days, but not the full picture.  I'm a planner, and I feel like I've reached the end of the plan in some ways.  I feel like there may be a surprise lurking around the corner (And no.  I'm not pregnant.).  But what it is, I don't know.  I feel like I'm waiting for it to hit, whatever it is.

Is that weird?  Good or bad, come what may, I'll take the mantra of Job.  "Blessed be the name of the Lord," and grab your coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment