Friday, September 28, 2012

Birthdays Matter. Celebrate.

It's a big day at our house.  BIG.  Our Lilliana turns 1 today.  The big O-N-E.  Unbelievable.

One year ago at this time I was chilling (between contractions) in my hospital room.  I didn't know it at the time, but at 10:48pm I would first behold my baby girl.  And when I did, I remember being thrilled, amazed, overwhelmed, exhausted.  (Blog post introducing Lily a year ago here.)  Today I am thrilled, amazed, overwhelmed, and blessedly not exhausted.  Today is a day to celebrate!

Maybe you don't celebrate birthdays "big."  Maybe you think it's silly to have a big party, spend lots of money on decorations, cake, party hats, and presents.  Maybe you like to keep things low-key.  That's ok. You don't have to spend a lot of money to celebrate.  But here's one small bit of unsolicited advice: celebrate.  Whatever your style, whatever your budget, whatever your traditions, celebrate.  

Here's why:


I did a post over a year ago, introducing my older brother to my (at that time) unborn daughter.  (You can read the post here.)  And today, on her first birthday and what would be his 31st birthday, we went back to say hi.  And this, my friends, is why I believe it is SO IMPORTANT to celebrate each and every year that we get to share on this earth.

My older brother died just over 13 years ago.  My parents got to celebrate 17 birthdays with him.  And there was no warning when his last day came.  Suddenly, without a chance to say goodbye, without one last hug, without any forewarning, he was gone, and never again on earth do we get to celebrate with him.  

Now, 31 years to the day after my big brother was born (and 13 years and 10 days after he died), we celebrate 1 year with my daughter.  The loss my family endured 13 years ago helps put today's celebration into perspective - we get to celebrate now but are not assured of anything other than today.  So today we're going to party, in our own style, with our limited budget, and our own traditions.

Perhaps more than anything, the celebration is in this mommy's heart.  There aren't balloons or decorations or cake - these will come next week when we celebrate with family.  There are 3 brightly-wrapped, bowed presents waiting for nap time to end and daddy to come home from work.  A modest celebration with parents and child.  Right now the celebration is vibrant in this mommy's heart - grateful for each moment, amazed by the gift of parenting my child, and in awe of the wonder of God's handiwork in her, in her daddy, and in me over the past year.

Liliana Jo Francl, happy birthday.  Mommy and Daddy love you very much, and we are thrilled for today.  Let's celebrate!  

1 comment:

  1. Love that little girl!! Beautiful words, and very well stated. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete