Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sick Day

What do you do with a toddler on a sick day?

Lily woke up this morning with a fever of 101.9.  Fortunately, it seems to be just a fever and not anything more.  Still, she's been a hot little cuddle bug, and I took the day off of work to try to nurse her back to health.


So, what, exactly, does one do with an almost-2-year-old for a day when said almost-2-year-old doesn't have the energy to do anything?  I'm not as creative as some of the mom-bloggers I follow.  But here's how we spent our day...

It started with snuggling in Mommy's bed.  This is one of Lily's favorite first-thing-in-the-morning activities even when she's not sick.  Today we got extended Mommy's bed snuggle time.

Then we snuggled while I ate breakfast.  She took over the last 1/8th of my bowl of cereal.  It was actually really encouraging and terrifying at the same time.  I was encouraged because at least her appetite wasn't totally gone.  On the other hand, I was terrified I might see the cereal again at some point during the day...

Next, we took on the disaster that was Mommy and Daddy's room.  She snuggled on the bed while I gathered up mounds of laundry and drug them to the laundry room.  She snuggled on my lap while we sat in the laundry room and sorted.

Once I got the first load going, we settled on the couch for her first movie of the day - a 30-minute Baby Genius DVD.  She only likes Baby Genius DVD's.  I've tried to convince her to watch things that I like more, like Disney movies, Veggie Tales, Garfield and Friends, all to no avail.  Baby Genius it is.

I showered rather than sit through that DVD for the 438,527th time.  (Ok, so we don't let her watch TV that often, but these are seriously the only DVD's she watches...)

We kept laundry going all day and spent time snuggling in every room of the house including the kitchen, den, bedrooms, living room, and hallway.

She napped, I cleaned the kitchen and laid down to nap too, at which point she woke up (of course).

Since her nap, we've snuggled, watched more Baby Genius, ate some yogurt, and snuggled some more.

I don't have a lot of good advice for Moms of sick toddlers other than to snuggle.  That's pretty much what we've done all day and it does seem to make her feel better.  Snuggle.

What do you/did you do when you toddler was sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment