Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday ramblings I want to remember...

I'm sitting at my mom's house as the snow starts to fall and my toddler naps in my old bedroom.  My husband is quarantined at home for the moment, sick with things I don't particularly want to get, and the weekend ahead is blessedly uncluttered with plans. 

Lily and I just returned from seeing the doctor.  You'd think I'd taken her to the zoo or the circus, she was so excited about the visit!  She couldn't wait to get there, and thanks to the doctor's set she got for Christmas, she accurately stated when the nurse was "taking your blood pressure" and was confused when that wasn't immediately followed by listening to my heart or giving me a shot. 

In any case, at 34 weeks and 4 days, the doctor confirmed that all is well.  She even said that maybe, just maybe, this baby isn't as huge as he seemed to be from his measurements at my last ultrasound.  I'm hoping she's right! 

Last night, Chase and I went to our birthing class "refresher" course.  It was all good stuff - reviewing the breathing patterns, medication options, and stages of labor.  It really did 2 things for me:  1) reminded me how silly those breathing patterns seem until you're actually using them in labor (then they are total LIFE SAVERS!!!!  Or at least they were for me.) and 2) How horrific an epidural really is.

I know they're pretty common practice and pretty safe these days, but seriously?  The pictures and the description and all the possible side effects... It will take a LOT of pain for me to think that that will be a good idea.  Chase, on the other hand, has already told me he thinks it is a great option!

My poor sensitive husband.  He's tough.  He'll make it through.  But he hates to see people hurting.  That's one of the reasons I love him so much!  But it does mean that our opinions differ a bit when it comes to labor and delivery pain meds.  He points out that while God may have given mothers hormones that help them forget and block out the labor and delivery experience (at least I know I have), God did not give those same hormones to dads.  He remembers it all very clearly.  The only difference Chase said, is that this time he'll know that in the end it will all be worth it!

And he's right.  It will.  I'm ready this time - ready for this baby to be out, in the world, to cuddle and love and enjoy and grow before my very eyes.  I wasn't really ready for Lily until the day she was born.  This time, I know the difficulties, but also the delights and I can't wait to get there! 

I've been pacing myself - doing a little something for the little guy each week.  I washed up his clothes a couple of weeks ago and got them hung up in the closet.  Last week, we moved book shelves and dressers around so those things are now where I want them.  Baby Brother's bag is packed, but this weekend I'll pack mine as much as possible and make a list of all the things I need to pack at the last minute.  Next weekend we'll put up the crib. 

Lily is SO excited.  I think she gets what's going to happen, but she's a little confused now.  I've told her that when I eat that's how Baby Brother eats - he gets food when mommy gets food.  So she asks if we can "take Baby Brother with us in the car" when we go places.  Yes, my dear.  I'm not sure exactly how we'd leave him behind at this point.  She's also asked if we were keeping him warm.  Fortunately, God saw to that when he designed the whole "in mommy's tummy" thing.  And she's asked if Baby Brother can see what she sees. 

I love that she wants him to be part of her life.  She's going to be a great big sister - and I hope she teaches him by her treatment of him to be gentle and kind.  Or rather, I hope he picks up on those characteristics in her. 

After going to the doctor, Lily and I stopped at the hospital to finish the preregistration process.  I explained that when it's time for Baby Brother to come out of Mommy's tummy, Daddy and Mommy will come to that hospital and go to a room, and then Lily will get to come with Grandma to visit.  There would be a crib in the room for Baby Brother and it would be so fun!  She took a while to process what I said, so we'll see what comes from it later.  If I know her, she'll have some questions or statements to expound on the whole matter.  I love how her little 2 year old mind works things out.

She asked to walk from the car into the hospital and hold my hand in the parking lot.  She brought along her play cell phone and had a conversation "with Daddy" on the way in.  It went something like this:  "Hi Daddy!...  Yes...  We're going to the hospital...  Yes...  I'm wearing my black skirt...  Yes...  Yes...  We were at the doctor...  Yes...  Bye!"  I wish I could just bottle her up!  But then growth and development are what make her so delightful.  What a great start to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment