Sunday, September 28, 2014

3 Parties and a 6 month old

We have literally been partying for a week!  Lily turned 3 years old today (Oh, how very glad I am that we're past where we were 3 years ago!!!!!) And here is a record of all of the festivities...

Party #1: The Cousin Party

On Chase's side of the family, there are 5 (out of 9) cousins who all have birthdays in the month of September.  So instead of trying to cram in parties every weekend, we celebrated them all at once.  


Lily and her cousin Ella getting ready for
the business of birthdays: presents!

Lily, modeling her birthday loot.
(Yay for dress up stuff!)

Here are the 5 cousins:
Zion (2), Lily (3), Ella (6), Caleb (13), Jaryn (15)

She could NOT WAIT to dive into the cupcake.
Also notice the fancy glass she got for her birthday.
Couldn't wait to use that!

Party #2: The Uncle Party

After partying with Chase's family, we partied with my family.  Lily's Uncle Tony has a birthday a week before hers, so we went to Mom's for a party to celebrate both of them.

Lily, preparing for the birthday festivities.

Modeling the sparkly heels she got.

Opening presents.

Getting ready to blow out candles with Uncle Tony.

Party #3: The ACTUAL Birthday

With 2 parties already celebrated last weekend, that just left us with the ACTUAL birthday to celebrate today.  Last night, I started talking to Lily about not being 2 anymore.  She told me that her birthday is on "September 28th."  Yes, indeed.  I told her that we might have to start working on learning her address when she's 3.  I asked if she knew her address.  She replied, "Yes.  It's pink, isn't it, Mom." 

This is what a 2 year old going to bed looks like.

This is what a 3 year old waking up looks like.

When we asked Lily what she wanted for her birthday, she said, "Donut holes."  So her daddy went and got her donut holes first thing this morning.  She her wants won't always be so inexpensive.  We'll enjoy this while we can!  Besides, who doesn't like to start out their birthday with donut holes?!?  And why is it that donut holes taste better than donuts anyway?


Ready for church.  Isn't that a great dress?
When you're 3, you get to wear great dresses.

After church, we went to the local cafe for lunch.
The waitress overheard that it was Lily's birthday
and brought her pancake with a candle.
 
We ended the day with a party with my Dad's side of the family.
Great grandparents, Grandpa, and Aunt and Uncle.

Candles, cake, candy, and ice cream never get old!

About Lily at age 3

Lily is simply delightful as long as she's not overtired.  (When overtired, she can be a bit whiny.  And we're in that hard in-between-nap-stage.  If she doesn't nap, she's exhausted by early evening.  If she does nap, bedtime is 10 or 11.)  Her vocabulary is amazing and she's learning nuance of words.

She often tells me to "trust me, Mommy" when I tell her no to something she wants.  Still figuring out the nuance of what "trust me" means...  She also told me tonight as I put her to bed that her feelings were hurt.  Turned out her jammies were too tight on her toes.  Not exactly her feelings, but she's trying.  She also spent most of Wednesday this week trying to convince me that she had a "happy cough" not a "bad cough" because I said we couldn't go to play group because of her cough.  It's lovely!

She's starting to ask "why" a lot, and that gets frustrating for me, until I remind myself that this is how she is learning about the world around her right now.  I can't always answer the why's, but I can help her learn about the things she's experiencing.

She curtsies like a princess.  She has a caterpillar that is invisible that needs to be taken out of the bathtub after every single one of her baths.  She gets out of the tub, I wrap her in her towel, she reaches back down toward the water, and she hands me an imaginary little caterpillar.  I put it on the hood of her towel and we go get her dressed.  The caterpillar makes random appearances every now and then in other places, but he is ALWAYS in the bathtub after baths.

She tells me about her feelings, and this is something I cherish and pray continues forever.  We were driving home from lunch after church today, and Lily said from her carseat in the back, "I'm feeling sad."  I asked why she was feeling sad, and she replied, "Because I want to go to the park."  (We had just driven by the park that is 3 blocks from our house.)  "Oh," I replied, "Maybe your dad could take you to the park this afternoon.  Would that be ok?"  She nodded.  I asked how she was feeling.  "I'm feeling happy, " she confirmed.  :)

She's my girl, and I love her!

About Connor at 6 Months

Not to be left out of the action, this little guy
turned 6 months old today. And let me tell you,
he rocks this baby business!

I feel like the time with baby #2 goes by so much faster!  But then, he's been part of our family forever. It's a weird but delightful dichotomy.

He started sitting up on his own in the last week.  A week ago, he needed the Boppy around him; today, he's good on his own for a long time.

He is a strong little boy, and LOVES his jumper/exersaucer.  He spends a lot of time in it, bouncing and bouncing and bouncing and bouncing...  And he's just so pleased with himself and happy to bounce!  All the bouncing has strengthened his legs, and my little guy can stand quite well while being held upright.  He's also getting good at scooting himself around.  I have a feeling that by 7 months he'll be army crawling and by 8 months I will have to baby proof my house!

He tried his first food about a month ago, and he eats like a little champ.  ...And he gets mad when you take a break in the middle of feeding him.

Just in the last week or so, he's started crying when I leave the room and smiling when I come back.  It's fun to be recognized and wanted.  :)

But did I mention he's large?  My boy has the most wonderful, squishy thighs.  I can't get enough of them!  I squish them every time I hold him, because they are so delightful!... and heavy.  He's heavy.  My back and shoulders and neck tell me that every time I pick him up.  But I can't help myself!  :)

Connor loves his sister and watches her all the time.  He smiles every time she pays him any attention, and he reaches for whatever she's doing (which will soon become a major problem, I have a feeling).  He likes the texture of hair, and pulls mine whenever he gets the chance.

He's my boy, and I love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment