Saturday, March 3, 2012

Life will never be the same

We hit a big landmark in Lily's life this week. She had "real food" for the first time! I'm not a mom who was anxious to get to this point. I have loved every minute with my baby girl, and if I could bottle her up and just keep her exactly this age forever, I would probably love it. But it's also true that every new day is better than the day before. Life is dynamic that way, and so I try to embrace each new day and not mourn the loss of the day before.

Over the last couple of weeks Liliana has been very interested in anyone around her who has been eating. She carefully studied the hand-to-mouth motion. If she was sitting on my lap while I was eating, she looked like a little owl craning her little neck to watch exactly what was happening to the food when it left my hand. In the mornings when she'd get up and I was getting ready for the day, I'd put her in her high chair with a spoon. She'd play with it (and sometimes gag herself), but she got comfortable with the spoon.

So on Tuesday, her 5 month birthday, we took the plunge. First, we started out by working up an appetite at the office:

That's Lily sitting on my desk in her Bumbo chair. She likes to be at eye level with me, so we sit this way a lot. I work on the computer, and she plays with toys (and when I say, "plays with toys," I mean that I hand her a toy and she throws it off the desk, I pick it up, and she throws it off the desk again...) All the hard work made her hungry, so that night when we got home...

I put her in her high chair with her bib on. This was her first experience with a bib since she's known how to work her hands, so she had to investigate the bib. It passed inspection:


She was anxious to get going with this food business, so I added some cereal to some milk and away we went:

I don't mean to brag about my kid... Ok. I'll be honest. I do mean to brag about my kid. It's my blog. She's my kid. She's perfect, and it's my right to brag about her here. She ate like the little champ that she is! She has always been a very good, very fast eater. And she loved her cereal. She knew exactly what to do when that spoon came close to her mouth, and she worked that cereal back down her throat with her little tongue like she was born to do it (which, I suppose she was). I don't know why I worried about starting her on food! She did great. In fact, she would open her mouth up so wide, that (just like her daddy) one of her eyes would open farther than the other! It was so cute!

And when all was said and done, she was satisfied. And berry cute too. :)

This post doesn't have any deep thought or life lesson with it, I guess. But it does have a very proud momma of a now-eating-"solid"-food baby. And that's enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment