Monday, March 26, 2012

Scarlet Hare

I don't know if everyone dreams of writing a children's book, but Chase and I have for a long time.  We have tinkered with a few ideas, but nothing has come together... until now.  About a month ago, our friend Kathy took some pictures of Lily and when Mom saw them, she said to me, "Steph, you have to write a book to go with these pictures!"  

It was a lot of pressure!  I mean, I wanted it to be good, and I wanted it to be meaningful, and I wanted to have the option to do more some day, too, because what if someday we have more kids and they want books written about them?  It took about a month of brain storming, writing down ideas, and piddling with word choice, but we finally did it.  

Of course, we dream of a publisher reading this (feel free to pass this post on to any of your publisher-friends) and picking it up.  And then, of course, it'd be a best-seller on the New York Times book list, Amazon would be begging us to sell it through them, and then we'd finally have a way to pay off my grad school loans...  A pipe dream, but why not dream big?!?

At any rate, I present to you, Scarlet Hare

by Chase and Stephani Francl
Photos by Kathy Chase
For Liliana Jo, our Little Bit

One day it was nap time and as she drifted off to sleep,
Scarlet Hare was lying silently not making a peep.
When suddenly she sat up with a look of questioning,
And asked her mommy all about this funny love feeling.


She asked, "What color is love? And does it have a shape?
What size is love, dear Mommy? And does it have a taste?
What feel is love, oh Mommy? And does it have a sound?
And if I look just hard enough are answers to be found?


Her Mommy paused and pondered the best way to reply,
And looked her precious Scarlet directly in the eye.
"Mommy's going to tell you the very best way I know how,"
Then she pulled her up onto her lap and said, "Well now..."

"My love for you is pure and white like the freshly-fallen snow.
It is all the colors you can see in the brightest of rainbows.

"My love for you is so small that it lives between your toes.
It is so big that it can reach wherever you might go.

"My love for you is fresh and sweet.  It helps to make you grow.
It's yummy like your favorite food, and tasty, don't you know?


"My love for you is constant like the ocean's crashing waves.
It's whispered softly in your ear, 'I love you' every day.

"My love for you is soft and velvety like your teddy bear.
It's comfortable and familiar like your favorite shirt to wear.

Scarlet smiled as she snuggled in her mommy's cozy lap.
"I knew it," whispered Scarlet as she yawned before her nap.
"There's a shape, too, I can feel.  It protects me from all harm,
When Mommy holds me tightly in the circle of her arms."

"I love you Mommy."
"I love you Scarlet."



1 comment:

  1. love to visit yr blog. this is my first time visiting yr blog bt i swear i will try to read all yr writes...

    ReplyDelete