Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Two Best Friends: Lily and the Stool

Let me introduce you to my newest best friend:

 

To you it's just some old stool, and in reality that's all it is.  I found it last Friday at a garage sale for $10.  It was propping the door to the garage sale open, and it looked pretty rough.  The metal looked rusty, the steps were questionable.  But I'd been looking at the newer models of these stools online, and they're $50+ and they get bad reviews on quality.  People with old stools like this said the old ones were made way better.  So for $10, I figured it was worth a shot.

It sat in the corner of my kitchen over the weekend, and last week Lily and I undertook cleaning it up - me with Lysol wipes and she with napkins.  (She's a great helper - worked to wipe whatever area I was trying to wipe :))  After about 20 minutes of wiping, it was almost as good as new!  And then the true test began...

I had an ambitious To Do List that day that included making cinnamon rolls, cookies, runzas, rolls, and keeping laundry going all day.  Typically that would be WAY too much kitchen time with the little one - she gets frustrated if I'm not paying enough attention to her, and she stands beside me saying things like, "No dishes.  No dishes."  (And I think to myself, "I wish. I wish.")  With the help of the stool, I thought, maybe I'd get 1/2 of it done.

The stool was a HUGE hit!


These were taken during the cinnamon roll process - she had her own spatula to help "spread" the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon on the inside of the roll.  She also helped by handing me the rolls once they were cut to be put onto the pan.


Being above the height of the counter was key, and kept her happy all day.  It was like she was now permitted into the adult kitchen world.


Turns out the adult kitchen world has its benefits...


I started this post a week ago (a couple of days after I bought the stool), and I'm just now posting it.  I can attest, a week later, that the stool is now the most used piece of furniture in our house.  Lily now helps make her scrambled eggs in the morning (she hands me the eggs from the carton, and uses a long-handled spatula to stir/hit), she pushes the start button on the microwave whenever I need to use it, she helps me remember to keep my counters clean.  :)  

Who knew a stool/chair could change the way we live our life in such a positive way.  And all for just $10 at a garage sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment