Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Things Lily Says...

This picture is a bit old, but it's what I have access to at the moment.  It was taken about 3 months ago, but it is one of my all-time favorites.  I feel like it captures Lily's spark and spunk.

She's 2.  Twenty-eight months to be precise, and she has ideas all her own.

"Pink is my favorite color."  (Yes, yes it is, as evidenced by the pink marker being the first to dry out.)

"Mommy, is our baby in your tummy?"  Yes, he still is.

Sometimes when I drop her off at places like her babysitter's house or Grandma's house, she'll ask if Mommy went to get the baby out of her tummy yet.  Or she may tell them, "Mommy went to get the baby out of her tummy."  Someday, in about 10 or 11 weeks (assuming we make it to full-term) that will be true.

When we talk about baby brother, it usually goes something like this:
Me: "Lily, do you love your baby brother?"
L:  "Yes, I love my baby brother."
Me:  "And he loves you."
L:  "Yes!  And he will like my cup, and he will like my tent, and he will like my big girl bed, and he will like my lightning bug, and he will push me in the stroller, and he will like my fish, and he will like my things..."

When we go to my mom's house, Lily always ALWAYS asks for fruit snacks.  Mom gets the Hello Kitty kind that Lily particularly loves.  Sometimes if I'm around and Lily knows it's likely that I'll tell her no (because Grandma certainly won't!) Lily will turn to Mom, furrow her brow, and whisper, "fruit snacks?"

Lately she has been telling me, "I don't want to [fill in the blank]"  It was cute.  Once.  It goes like this:
Me:  "Lily, come put on your coat."
L:  "I don't want to put on my coat."
Me:  "Lily, you need to obey and put on your coat."
L:  "Mom, I don't want to put on my coat."
Yeah.  We're working on that.  While it's nice to know what she wants and doesn't want, and it's fantastic that she can tell me, she still needs to obey, the first time...

When her daddy didn't understand which snack she wanted from the cabinet, she told him, "Why don't I just show you."

She's become quite the mini-mommy to her dollies lately.  One in particular (my Cabbage Patch doll from when I was little) is her favorite because we have a play pacifier that actually fits in her mouth.  Lily brings dolly to meals and puts dolly in her tiny high chair beside our table.  Lily tucks dolly into bed at night.  Lily puts dolly down for naps (which requires turning on Lily's 3 night lights, music, and turning off the big light after singing dolly a song).  The other day, Chase and I were in the kitchen where Lily was playing with dolly.  All of a sudden, Lily held dolly up and said, "Oh!  You have to go potty?  Hurry, hurry!"  She then ran to the bathroom, stripped dolly naked, got the potty chair out of the closet all by herself, and set dolly on it.  *sigh* Clearly she knows what to do... if only she'd actually do it herself!

"Is your doctor sick?"  Lily asks this because last week I was supposed to have an ultrasound.  We packed up her dolly, her doctor kit, and the video camera.  We told her about how the doctor would show us pictures of baby brother on a big TV screen and we'd get some new pictures to bring home.  We made it all the way to the doctor's office (a 30 minute drive) talking about how we'd see pictures of baby brother soon.  Aaaaaaaand the doctor was sick that day.  (Ironic?  Indeed.)  My phone had been on the fritz, so the message hadn't come through.  So we explained that the doctor was sick and wouldn't be able to show us pictures that day.  Nearly every day since she's asked if the doctor is still sick.  I now just agree and tell her that we'll go again on another day when the doctor isn't sick.  That appointment is 3 weeks from now.  Do you think she'll forget to ask if the doctor is sick by then?

No comments:

Post a Comment