Friday, April 4, 2014

First week as Mommy to 2

I feel settled.  We're finding our groove, the rhythm by which we'll function as a family.  Four is a good number for us right now - Daddy, Mommy, Lily, Connor (and of course, Frazier, our dog who feels extra neglected right now).

It has been a week of firsts, a week that went by both too quickly and not quickly enough.  I remember feeling the weight, after Lily was born, of each moment being a moment I could never have back again.  That hasn't been as overwhelming this time around, in part, I think, because this is round 2.  These moments are things I don't want to let by, but then I catch a glimpse of what I think Connor will look like in a few years, of an expression I know I'll see again and again.  I think of the developmental milestones we'll hit in the coming months, and I look forward to them... but not too much.  Today is still a day I will never get back again.

At the moment, my newborn is napping in his crib which also happens to be in his big sister's room.  His big sister is napping in her bed, and I get a few blessed minutes to catch up on life.  I'm not thinking this will last long, so I'll cherish the quiet and cherish the noise too when it comes.

Here are some firsts we walked this week:

Connor had been home less than 12 hours and
his daddy was already working on developing his interests.

First time visiting with cousins, uncle and aunt, and grandparents.
SO glad they came to see us!

This picture cracks me up!  It looks like Lily was up with Connor all night.
She wasn't, but she looks so zoned and exhausted.  :)
She loves to hold her brother, though the holding doesn't usually last more than about 3 seconds.

First time out of the house.  Mommy was going stir-crazy, so we called up Grandma and had supper at her house.
Lily does have on a dress (I didn't let her go out bottom-less).  Everyone did very well.
We're getting better at getting out when we want/need to.
I never realized how much I need to get out of my house until I was cooped up here for a week with
sickness, and then cooped up between the hospital and home for a week with baby...

First visit to Grandma's house!  Lily does pretty well sharing Gram so far,
but that's because Gram pays lots of attention to Lily.

This is the face I see a LOT, like whenever Connor is hungry.
He turns his head and opens up his little mouth just like that!
This was actually his first bath.  At 1 week old, I decided it was time.

Lily was very interested in this "sponge bath" concept.
She offered him a bite of her yogurt when he was upset.
She also coached him on how to calm down, "Take a deep breath, take a deep breath.  It's ok."

Baths for everyone!  First day with fresh, clean kids and Mom. :)

First decent nap in his crib.  Thanks Mom for making the bedding!

As aforementioned, first time both kids napped in their room together.
It only lasted 40 mins till Connor got up, but I'll take it!
Before I close this, I just want to list some things that I have enjoyed for myself this week.  In no particular order...


  • sleeping on my back
  • hugging Chase with no one in between us
  • sleeping on my stomach
  • being able to lean over my plate while eating without feeling like there's a basketball shoved between my ribs and my bladder
  • how easy it is to stand up from sitting on the couch
  • non-maternity clothes!
  • not getting kicked, elbowed, or otherwise pummeled every 20 seconds
  • feeling like I know what I'm doing this time around
  • snuggling both my kids at the same time
  • being a mom <3

No comments:

Post a Comment