Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Candida diet myths

Chase and I have now been on this high-protien and veggies-only, no simple carbs, no fruit, no sugar or sweeteners of any kind diet for a week.  And we've survived.  I'd even say we haven't hated it as much as we expected to, but our hate-expectations were pretty high.  It's no stretch to say that I'm on this diet because it's what's best for my family, and not because I get any enjoyment out of it at all.

I've done a lot of research on the Candida diet over the past couple of weeks, and if you're new to the diet, let me debunk a few myths you'll find out there:

1.  They'll say that protein keeps you full - protein doesn't keep you full for a long time, at least not on this diet.  If anyone ever tells you that "protein is what keeps you full," do me a favor and tell them to take their protein and stuff it - you can tell them that it's from Steph.  Today I ate a normal breakfast at 7:30, was hungry by 9, had a snack at 9:30 and ate like a stinking horse at noon - put down more food than a person my size ever should - and I was starving again at 3.  I wasn't able to eat again until 4:30 at which time I had a large snack, then ate dinner at 6:30, then second-dinner at 7:30, then snack at 8:30.  I'm finally feeling full... and like a hobbit.  You will have to eat often, and a little Tupperware full of celery will not do the trick - take hummus, unsweetened almond butter, and/or unsweetened natural yogurt in which to dip your veggies AND something else or you will feel like you're starving.  Take/make more than you think you'll need.  You'll probably need it all.

2.  You will have to eat weird foods you've never heard of - you can eat well and normal foods on this diet and avoid major cravings, but it will take work.  "Easy Candida Recipes" exist, but you can't live on them.  I've probably spent 20 to 30 hours simply researching dietary options over the last 3 weeks.  Of all the recipes in my 8 or 9 cookbooks, I found about 25 that fit or could be adapted to this diet.  It takes time, especially at the beginning, to find what will work for you.  But the research time is worth it - I'm glad to have food that is at least somewhat appetizing, and sometimes even delicious to eat - food that fits my tastes.

3.  It can be done easily - eating well will not only take research work, but also cooking work, and dishes.  Oh. My. Dishes.  I feel like I've done equal amounts of sleeping and dishes over the past couple of weeks.  Add in the cooking and planning time, and I basically picked up a full-time job by starting this diet.  It can all work, but it takes a lot of work, especially at the beginning.  But persevere!  You can do it!!!!

4.  You'll lose weight - this diet won't necessarily make you lose weight.  My hubby is down about 8 lbs in one week.  I'm holding steady right where I was when we started.  This is good because I need to not lose weight, and he had a little he could lose with a little effort.  So, evaluate your goals and count calories if you're concerned about losing/gaining weight.  Odds are that you will have to eat a lot more on this diet than you did previously to not lose weight - it takes a lot of carrots and celery to equal the calories in a cinnamon roll.

5.  You'll be on it forever and you'll no longer be normal - it is possible to enjoy mostly normal life on this diet.  Do we sit around and talk about how much we'll appreciate "the little things" like eating rolls and sweets and treats and corn and bread?  Yes.  Absolutely.  Do we whine, gripe, complain, and lament what we can't have, what we didn't appreciate before, and where we can't eat now (mostly restaurants)?  Yes.  But we are still living a normal life, doing all the things we normally did before (plus more cooking at home and doing dishes).  If you're in the depths of despair (like I was 2 weeks ago when I first researched this diet), look up - there is hope!  You will make it and it will be fine!

There you have it.  I'm no expert.  I've been doing this (imperfectly, and learning more each day) for a week now.  I'll share my meal plan for the last week in a post soon, but for now, just know that you can make it through.  And if you're not on a candida diet, please enjoy those sugars, simple carbs, breads, and all other deliciousness, in moderation, of course.  If I were you, I would!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment